Recreational Vehicles

Do you own a recreational vehicle? If so, do you live in the RV or take frequent trips around the country? If so, then you should have recreational vehicle insurance. But first, you must be sure that your vehicle counts as a recreational vehicle. RV’s are grouped into classes – A, B, and C. Motor homes, converted buses, or a luxury RV with a length of 75 feet or less is class A. Camper vans and travel trailers are class B, and class C includes fifth wheels and cargo vans with an extended camper over the cab.

Like automobile insurance, RV insurance includes liability, comprehensive and collision insurance. This is helpful because if you are in an accident or your RV is stolen, the insurance policy covers your loss, repair, and medical costs. And if you are at-fault, your policy pays if you have liability to pay for the other drivers expenses. Weather damage or animal damage may be covered unless it’s specifically excluded.

Liability, comprehensive, and collision coverage are the most important types of coverage available. But there is additional coverage to consider. To cover items inside your recreational vehicle, you’ll need personal effects coverage. It’s possible that your homeowner’s policy may provide this coverage, but it might not extend outside of your state. It’s also good to have roadside assistance, in the case of tire blowouts, emergency gas delivery, mechanical and electrical failures and a variety of other emergency services.

Vacation liability is recommended as well. It covers up to $10,000 in injury and property damage expenses that might occur during vacation. There’s also custom equipment coverage to ensure that you receive proper coverage for RV upgrades. For a new RV that’s less than a year old, total loss replacement insurance is a better option than actual cash value.